Bloomsburg University's Harvey A. Andruss Library

Spence Stained Glass Windows

separator bar

The four Spence stained glass windows were acquired in 1918 and 1919, thanks to the efforts of Prof. O. H. (Oscar Hugh) Bakeless (1858-1933), who was secretary of the Memorial Committee.  Professor Bakeless was an 1879 graduate of the Bloomsburg State Normal School, and served as head of the Department of Pedagogy from 1902 to 1929.  He was responsible for soliciting the necessary funds for the windows from students, faculty, and alumni.

Philologian Literary Society

Click on windows for a larger view.

The rectangular windows were made by the George W. Spence Company of Boston at a cost of nearly $400.  The first two, Wisdom from the Calliepian Literary Society and Knowledge from the Philologian Literary Society, were purchased and made in 1918.  The second two, Temperance from the YMCA and Virtue from the YWCA, were ordered and received in 1919.  Prof. Bakeless felt that the windows would provide the right atmosphere to put students in a more reflective and studious mood.

The Spence Windows can be seen in the University Archives/Special Collections Reading Room on the 3rd floor of the Harvey A. Andruss Library.

separator bar

University Archives Home Page

Updated 5/20/09