North Hall as it looked in 1965.
North Hall was built in 1895 as a dormitory for employees of the normal school. It stood three stories high and also served as the music conservatory and had a laundry in the basement. Following a fire in 1904 that severely damaged the upper floors it was remodeled to include a chemical laboratory, but in 1906 was converted solely to a student dormitory. In 1921 it became the men's dorm and accommodated 65 students. By the early 1960's after the completion of the new men's dorm, new North Hall, the first two floors housed departmental offices and the basement served as a dressing room for athletic teams playing on the nearby field. In August, 1966 Old North was demolished to make way for South Hall, which was completed the following year.
Return to Map