Navy Hall in 1953.
Navy Hall, built during 1938 and 1939, was originally intended to serve as a junior high school to complement the elementary school in Ben Franklin. Because of delays in completing construction and the onset of World War II, it only served as a junior high for two summer sessions. When the college began hosting naval training programs for flight instructors and officers during the war, the building was turned over to them to serve as their official headquarters and to provide space for offices, classrooms and storage. The building was given the informal name of Navy Hall, which it has been known by ever since. At the close of the war, enrollment went up at the college and the Business Education department moved into the building. When Sutliff Hall opened in 1960, business education moved out of Navy and special education came in. Navy Hall today houses faculty offices and classrooms for the Department of Exceptionality Programs, which encompasses the Special Education, Education of the Deaf/Hard of Hearing and American Sign Language/English Interpreting programs. The building had its most extensive renovation to date when it underwent a $4.3 million rehabilitation, which was completed in the spring of 2006.
Return to Map