The College Laundry in 1956.
Built in 1930 to hold laundry facilities that were formerly housed in the basement of North Hall, this building was simply called the College Laundry. Maintained for that purpose through at least the 1960s, in the 1970s it was turned over for use by the campus grounds crew. By 1979 the Art Department's ceramics and sculpture studio had moved in, and in 1983 the building was dedicated to Walter Simon, an art professor who served the University from 1971-77. Simon Hall remains the only facility on campus named for an African American. The building became home to the QUEST office in 1986, and later also housed the Corporate Institute.
Return to Map